Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 1

Sooo.. since I suck at packing, my initial attempt at packing just resulted in waaay too much being brought.. I mean.. we're only supposed to be gone for 6 days, and I brought a full, heavy, large suitcase.. no bueno.

I packed on Sunday night, in order not to have to drive home after work on Monday, just loaded the car with suitcase, diaper bag, cat litter box, kittens, Maddie and me on Monday am, and spent the night at "uncle cabber's" monday night.
I re-packed on Monday night, pretty much left half of my luggage at Casper's, resulting in a much lighter suitcase.
The kittens.. we thought they would be the ones antagonizing Penny (caspers old, grouchy cat) but.. nooo. She hated the young one's with a vengeance, from the first second, attacking them pretty much straight out of the cage, so we had to keep them separated.. and the kittens managed to climb on top of a mattress, that was leaned up against the wall, on the short end.

I finished re-packing at 1am, and slept like craps all night, kept on waking up, thinking I had over slept, or that it was at least morning.. and the kittens woke up at 5, started chasing each others, chasing my toes and just causing a ruckus.. my alarm went off at 6, I think I finally managed to get up at a quarter past, to shower and get ready.

I had planned to make pancakes to bring on the flight (perfect snacks for Maddie) but.. my sleep deprived mind couldn't compute 2x 3/4 cups of water, so the batter got waaaay too diluted.. had to make "små plättar" instead.. but.. that worked just as well.

We got to the airport at 7.30am, the flight was scheduled for 9am. Took so long to make it thru the security checkpoint, that we got to board as soon as we got to the gate - quite nice.

Maddie was beyond fantastic the whole trip, she watched movies, played games, napped and woke up as the flight attendant announced the landing in Miami.
We had a couple of hours to kill in Miami, and the departure gate was only 2 gates down from the arrival gate. Maddie went into hyper drive, ran around, danced, sang, pushed the stroller around, and released some pent up energy from the previous flight.


We had to check in at the gate in MIA, to get our seats, but were told by the attendant that she was still working on our seats, that the flight was over booked, and she was looking for volunteers to fly a day later.. now.. if it would just have been me, it would have been pretty cool to spend a night in Miami, too, but.. not while travelling with Maddie.

We waited for closer to an hour, and then were handed our boarding passes by the attendant. I thanked her profusely, as I was just happy to have seats, but.. when I looked at the tickets, she had upgraded us to priority business class, too.. we had the first seats of the airplane, and got to board ahead of everybody else.. SWEET!!
I have never been upgraded before, so that was certainly a nice surprise..

We arrived on time, and leaving the airplane it was like walking into a wall of heat.. holy hell, it was hot here.. and humid.. something I am SO not used to!

Waiting in line in customs was like being in a sauna.. ugh. But, in the same breath, thank goodness for av on the shuttle bus that took us to the hotel.

We checked into the hotel just around 9pm, by which time Maddie was starting to have a minor meltdown, due to being way too tired.. fetched her some milk, then put her to bed, and of course fell asleep, too.. woke up at 7 on Wednesday am. And onto day 2..

/carina


No comments: